Starting begonia corms

lt is 2nd March and I am starting my begonia corms. With them having several growth buds you can if you want cut the corms so that each section has a growth on it and increase the number of plants. I do not like doing this as the cut area cannot form any roots, so you get a reduced root system and it is possible to attract fungal disease . As you will see I cover the corm with compost, this is so that any water collecting in the hollow that is often on the top of the corm will be absorbed and not lay to start rotting the corm but more important it means that all the corm can form roots giving a much better plant.
Now April 23rd they are growing and ready for potting up, at this stage you can take cuttings as in picture. I root them in a mixture 50% compost/50% perlite.

No comments:

Post a Comment